Saturday, June 23, 2012

Thoughts on Research......

As we are approaching the close of this class, I found myself pondering the question of what I think about research. There are so many thoughts, and now they are not just thoughts of terror when that "research" word comes up; rather, the thoughts are of how can we be better researchers that can be a contribution to the field of early childhood.

I have gained many insights from this course. I have learned the value of research and what I must do to ensure my research is valid and ethical. It is difficult to be a researcher, but with the information I have gained I know I can at least attpempt to begin the process of research. I understand there are steps we must take when conducting research, and we must ensure we are purposeful planners when conducting a research study.

I believe each week offered a new challenge for me, especially when it invovled putting my research question down, and trying to actually narrow it down where it was not so broad of a topic. Each week I was given new terminology and vocabulary, which became quite challenging when working on the research charts and simulations. However, I realize we all must stay abreast on current research and ensure we are applying new, tested methods to enhance instruction as well as allowing educators, administrators and staff to become more aware of the ever changing field of early childhood education.

I believe one of the main ideas on research that really opened my eyes was the deficit model. I would never conduct any type of research that would make anyone feel as if their race, skin color, or income made them feel inadequate. I will ensure all of children in my class get the education they deserve, while being treated equal and fair.

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for all of the wonderful comments and suggestions you offered each week. This has been a very informative course, and without each of you, I would have not made it through. I wish each of you the very best of luck!!

Blessings,
Susan

3 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Like you, I was fearful at the beginning of this class. I always associated research with statistics and I knew that this was not one of my strengths. This class helped me understand that research is much more than statistics. I have been amazed by the complexity of the research process and now have a greater appreciation to researchers. I was also taken aback when I read about the deficit model. I had never looked at the research about Head Start and the Perry Preschool Project in that light. I always enjoyed reading your posts. Like all of your posts for this class, this post also reflects your concern for children and you passion for equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    I must admit that I was also terrified at the mere thought of research. After taking this course I am still a little afraid because of the many aspects involved in the whole research process, but I am confident in knowing how to control or work through those difficult aspects. Take Care and Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    I can relate to the challanges that occurred at the beginning and each of this course. This was new to me also and although each week brought forth a new challenge, we were able to gain better insights to become more competen in the field. I enjoyed your posts and positiv feedback that you have given to me throughout this course. Good luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete