Monday, November 4, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

I pondered this assignment for several days because there are SO many organizations at the national level, but not as many at the local level (in my communities, that is). However, I found some truly great state level organizations that I very much want to be a part of.

First, I was very intrigued by taeyc - Texas Association for the Education of the Young Child. I believe early education is crucial, and this association wants to ensure young children has success in education. "The Texas Association for the Education of Young Children (Texas AEYC) seeks to improve early childhood education in Texas by supporting members to be effective early childhood advocates and by collaborating with other agencies to promote public policies that address the needs of young children and their families" (TAEYC, 2010). By collaboration and communicating, we can address those needs of all children and their families.

By exploring this website, I found a wealth of resources and publications that will assist me in becoming a better early childhood educator. I encourage you to go this website, as well. You will not be disappointed, even if you are not in the state of Texas. The website is http://www.texasaeyc.org/.

Second, I have always used the TEA, Texas Education Agency, website for everything. However, I have not thought of using it as part of my Community of Practice. TEA has so many resources available to educators, as well as a section for just Early Childhood Education. This website is a tool that assists teachers with guidance and leadership to become a better educator, but to also meet the needs of all students.

Next, I chose Texans Care for Children. I have never heard of this, but after doing my research, I am quite thankful I did find it. This organization is dedicated to improving the lives of children. "As the voice for Texas children, we speak for kids at the Capitol and across the state and mobilize others to make a difference. As the source on Texas children, we keep Texans informed about what's happening with kids and how the people of our state can help. As the network for Texans who care, we bring together coalitions around the issues that matter for children. Families and those who work with kids come together around solutions that lead to a bright Texas future" (Texans Care for Children, 2013). Because of dedicated individuals, children and families can be helped!

As for job opportunities, the Texas Education Agency currently has no openings; however, I am in the job I have always wanted to be in. I am an early childhood educator and I want nothing more than to continue teaching the preschool age. There are truly no other jobs that interest me within the education system. I feel as if I am at the ideal position now, and I would not want to change that.

References

Texas Association for the Education of the Young Child. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.texasaeyc.org/.

Texans Care for Children. (2013). Retrieved from http://texanscareforchildren.org/what-we-do.

7 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Your post is very informative. I have worked with many of the members in the Texas Association for the Education of Young Children (TAEYC). I love that you have a passion for teaching the preschool age children. I do as well. It is a hard decision to make. I have taught and owned my own preschool and left the business and I always come back to the children and families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! I love that your state has something like TAEYC. It seems like a great agencies that does a lot of great work for early childhood professional. It would be a great resources to have for your Capstone Project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a hard time thinking of local organizations too. I asked a few people thought and found out most counties of a coalition association for early childhood. I found two in my area and one of them even has available job openings! It was very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that it was really difficult to find local organizations but there was a great deal of state and national agencies that offer information that will serve as an asset to our research! Susan I must agree that teaching the preschool age children is a really rewarding area in the education field and it is such a pivotal time in a young child's life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that finding local resources was a bit difficult! But honestly it was a blessing that the state and national levels offered a plethora of resources! Working with preschoolers is rewarding and so much fun! I like the little ones but Pre-K on up is my fort-ay! Susan you would have thoroughly enjoyed the conference that I attended at the end of last month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love Naeyc and PreK. The only reason that I would like to leave the classroom is that I am getting a little stale and I am looking for growth. This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Thanks for sharing the information about the TEA. I think teachers can never receive enough information. There are always areas in which we can improve.

    ReplyDelete