Thursday, April 19, 2012

Week 8 - International Insights

Well, unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to have any type of contact with anyone outside of the United States. However, that certainly did not mean I didn't gain valuable information through the many resources available to me. I thoroughly enjoyed my podcast participants as they helped inform me of the many issues and trends in education internationally.

Before this course, I did not give a second thought to how things worked outside of the United States in early childhood education. I was sadly mistaken. I was very impressed with how Meridas Yora built a school for those who lost everything in a devastating storm. He wanted to ensure these children and family members had shelter, but he also wanted a quality education for them. His desire was wonderful, and I admired that. This again made me rethink my professional goals, as I have a strong desire for my children, but it needs to be a deeper desire to provide a high quality education for all children.

Throughout this course, I did not have any type of information on poverty, equity, or excellence in education outside of the United States. However, through my work in this course, I feel as if I am educated, as well as humbled. Just because children and families overseas are living in poverty does not mean there is not a desire for schooling. This also applies within the United States. As I have learned, many families are living in poverty within my own community, but that certainly does not mean they do not want their children to attend schooling. Meridas Yora enabled this for many families as he built a shelter/school that would aid in the education of children.

Because of the numerous international resources I was able to view, I will be a more humble, compassionate teacher. All children, despite where they live or what type of home background they have, deserve an education from a professional that is loving and willing to give 110% of their time to these precious children. If I did not have a teenager and a husband, I would exhaust every resource given to me to teach outside of the United States. I have a desire to help all children, and now, because of the things I have learned, I want to help internationally. It may be years down the road, but I pray I am given the opportunity to be an educator to children in 3rd world countries!!

Thank you to all of my classmates! It has been a fast 8 weeks, but such an informative 8 weeks! I pray you have gained many valuable resources in this course, and I hope to "see" you again in another course!!

Blessings,

Susan

6 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I can feel it through your blog how much you care about children. We both learn some incredible things about the children abroad. I too would love to work overseas and teach them, but then I realize, I need to help the ones right in my own back yard. You will do well no matter where you teach because in your words you write tell me it comes from your heart. We need more teachers like you.

    Thanks for sharing with me the resources that you have found. I hope that we both continue our journey as advocate for children and reach the goals that we laid out at the beginning of our careers. See you next class maybe.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think that policy, equity and advocacy needs to become a core requirement for all ECE students. Students spend much of their time learning about curriculum, supervision and child development. Nevertheless, policy, equity and advocacy has become an increasingly imperative component of our work.
    For those of us that teach or train the next generation of ECE students - this will be something that we need to consider seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have wonderful ambitions to teach; I hope you are able to fulfill them in some fashion. You have great ideas to share and implement. Good luck as you pursue new adventures.
    It is vital to remember all children want a quality education. We must work to make this happen for all children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you as you pursue new adventures. You have great ideas to share and implement.
    It is important to remember that all children want a quality education. We must work to make that happen for all children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you stated, I didn't think about how other countries operated either. But you will be amazed at the differences. And I agree that all children should have a high quality education also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Wishes to you! You did a great job on your blogs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete