Monday, February 25, 2013

What I Have Learned......

 

Before my courses at Walden, I never really thought about diversity and the importance of embracing it. However, upon seeing the importance of embracing differences of everyone, I realize how important it is to reflect everyone in my classroom, even if I am not comfortable with it or do not agree with it. Because children spend more than half of their day in classrooms, they should feel comfortable and accepted, and each aspect of their life represented.
 
 
Because I did not think much about diversity before this course, I believe there should be workshops or classes that every teacher should have to attend just to learn the importance of embracing diversity. Through this class, I have learned the importance of self reflection, as it has helped me uncover some of my own discomforts I would have never thought about had I not taken this class. The knowledge I have gained has allowed me to be a better anti-bias educator as well as speak to my co-workers about the importance of diversity.
I would like to thank all of my colleagues for your wonderful comments throughout this course. It has been very helpful in allowing me to see things from a different perspective. I have also enjoyed reading all of your discussions and blog postings as they have given me a great deal to reflect on. I hope to see you all in more courses together.

A special thank you to Dr. Kien as your words have also been constructive and helpful. Your course has been organized and thorough, and you have always been more than helpful to ensure we have a smooth 8 weeks. Your insight and comments to me have helped me see things from many different views. Because of your expertise and this course, I feel I am a better anti-bias educator. Thank you again!


4 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Your blog is so colorful. You have a lot of talent and you are aware of diversity all around you, especially in your classroom with young children. I did not even think about diversity in the way we have learned it in this class. I always thought diversity was a classroom culture event that included costumes and music; yet now I know it is much more than simple class celebrations. Thank you for your lovely post and good fortune in your future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    I do too consider there is need of more anti-bias preparation available for all professionals, because we all are relating through our practice with diverse children families, and people in the community. If we all learn and value who we are, then we would be able to better work with others, because they would be perceived as just different people, without thinking if they are right or wrong.

    Thanks for your interesting posts Susan and I wish you the best in the last two courses of this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    You discussed how there needs to be workshops and/or classes that educators should take in order to understand the importance of embracing diversity. I completely agree. This course has helped me to understand the importance of self-reflection and the importance of embracing diversity. Teachers come in contact with so many children and their families, and we need to be as informed as much as possible. We need to realize the impact our words, actions, and attitudes can have on children and their families. Thanks for your post and insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,

    I also feel that there should be more training on the subject of diversity. I recall working in the Child Development classroom and those who are not aware would make comments and sought that I was doing more than I should. If they had knowledge, they would understand that childrn and families are all not the same and we should not treat them according to another family. We should never compare. Diversity is something that needs to be embraced everyday and not just on a specific occasion. Diversity is complex and go far beyond than a holiday and so forth.

    Thank you for your post and I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete