Monday, November 5, 2012

My Family Culture

This is quite an assignment. I actually sat and contemplated what was most important in my life, and nothing materialistic made the list. However, if I had to take three concrete objects, it would be my cell phone, (although I doubt it would work where I was going) because it holds many photos and addresses of those I could keep in contact with; a photo album to help me remember faces; and certainly the most important concrete object: my Bible. I would need this to remain close to God as I know we need to dwelve into scripture daily.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be my Bible. I have my internal memory to look back at pictures and important events in my life. I would feel pretty lost without my phone, but I would manage. I need God's word, and I couldn't leave it behind. His word is a guide for us all, and helps us remember what we should be doing.

As I mentioned previously, my phone would probably not work, and it would be almost useless other than for looking at pictures and addresses. Again, I would have my internal memory to reflect back upon. 

As I sat and thought of this assignment, I realized my family is far more important than any concrete object. I love my photos, especially those of my husband and daughter, but those can be replaced. My family, and our God is what is most important.

Blessings,
Susan 

7 comments:

  1. I had two of the same objects that you chose.It is important that we remember objects are just concrete objects. Family is important and I don't know what I would do with out my family and their support. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    You are right God and family are the most important to keep at our sides. We can survive almost anything if we keep God and our families at our side. Material things are just that material though they would help to maintain our culture and traditions in place.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you and I were almost on the same page! I chose my laptop instead of my phone, just because I transfer everything from one to the other, and I prefer using the laptop! And the one thing I would keep...my Bible. Thank you for your post. I am glad to know that my God is just as important to you as He is to me!\

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I also chose the Bible as the object I would take with ultimately. I said it was family artifact and it really is, as it is the most consistent object in my family for generations. I love that you wanted to bring your cell phone, I sure hope wherever we were headed it had electricity and an outlet. Your going to be a hot item with that phone and my new best friend lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,

    It is important to my family culture as well to have God and your family by my side. Thinking about not having a cell phone makes me feel as if I would feel lost but having a piece of my family or my bible with me would help me feel at home. It would be very important for us to use our internal memory to remember our past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too think that is it very important to have God as well as my family by my side to represent my family culture. I too would bring a picture of my family. It is important to have our internal memories to reflect back on if we were going through such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt material items were kind of trivial as well. I believe in this kind of crisis the best way we have to preserve our culture is through language, stories, and memories. I also felt that our culture is constantly changing and that a move of this sort would most definitely add things we may include in our culture in the future as we create new traditions in our new environment.

    ReplyDelete