Friday, November 23, 2012

Microaggressions.....

As I observed many people this week, I found myself thinking of the many microaggressions that were taking place, although done unintentionally, it made me become very aware of my own thoughts and words.

During a high school basketball game I overheard some ladies talking. I was taken aback at what they were saying, but I did not interrupt as I wanted to see what they would continue saying. The opposing team was warming up before the game started, and one lady made the comment that one of their boys walked somewhat "funny." As the conversation went on, these ladies came to the conclusion that this young man was probably gay because of the way he walked and the way he held a basketball. I was so shocked that someone could make that type of comment about someone they knew absolutely nothing about! As a matter of fact, they had never even laid eyes on this young man! After a few minutes of listening to them go on and on about this young man, I intervened and explained to them they were labeling him and this was a form of microaggression. I told each of them that was unfair to even assume something about someone because of the way he walked! I also explained to both ladies the psychological damage they could do to this young man had he overheard their conversation. After I was done talking, I do believe these two ladies may never speak to me again, but I wanted to make my point known!

A second microaggression I wanted to share was about my husband (I actually discussed it in my discussion posting). Years ago he and I went to a department store. We walked in together, but we split up because he was looking for something in particular. I actually watched a salesperson literally follow him around as if he was going to steal something. She never once followed me, but she certainly made it a point to be in very close proximity with my African American husband. We both were so offended, and I actually told her such. She never once apologized, and we walked out to never return. For me, that type of racial microaggression is totally unnecessary. Just because someone's skin tone is a certain color does not mean they are a thief.

We must be very careful to ensure we do not stereotype people, or become prejudice or show discrimination because of someone's skin color, where they live, or any other aspect of their life.

6 comments:

  1. Susan,

    The way some people think is really hard to understand. I grew up listening to gossip about people and that really bothered me. People like to believe the worst of others and if they don't see something right away they tend to make something up. It is scary how people only want to see, do and believe things that may not be true.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    It is so wonderful that you let those ladies know how you feel. I applaud you for letting them know the damage they could have done to that young boy. Thank you for sharing the story about your husband. I agree with you that someone's skin color doesn't make the a thief or anything else for that matter. It is sad that we still live in a world with just biases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing that you had the courage to talk with the ladies. I have been disappointed in myself when I didn't speak up for what I know was right. Good for you! Like you I have spent alot of time this week listending for microagressions within conversations. I'm surprised in the amount of time that people spend discussing things that are neither their business and discriminatory in nature. This makes me quite nervous for the generations to come. Our society is now more diverse than ever, yet we still live in great judgement of one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that you spoke up. Good for you! I also have spent time this week listening on others conversations. I'm amazed at how much time others spend discussing situations who are neither their business and/or concern. Despite the level of diversity in our country we continue to live in judgement of one another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan you were very brave to speak to those lady about their microaggression behaviors, I know I would not have said anything unless the commment was directed towards me or if the boy was my child. More people should boycott certain estabishments that treat them that way, But as African American have become accustom to being treated this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I applaud you for speaking your mind and sharing your feelings with those ladies. People are so quick to judge and assume before they know. After learning this new knowledge about microaggressions, I hope that I will be strong enough to speak out as you have done. Thank you for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete