Friday, November 16, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

I asked three different people about their definitions of culture, and they all seem to agree their culture was their race, their heritage, and their traditions. When I asked about their sexual orientation, they seemed shocked because they didn't think that applied to their culture or even diversity. They believed that was one's own choice, and had nothing to do with their culture.

When asked about diversity, one of my co-workers said she believed diversity meant our differences, and how we deal with those. She also went on to say being different doesn't mean it is a bad thing, and we need to teach others about diversity.

As I sat and reflected on culture and diversity, as well as talking with a couple of my closest friends, the topic of differences was brought up as far as couples. I am very traditional girl, and although I don't agree with certain things, I believe everyone should be treated with respect. All children should be made to feel proud of their families, even if they are different.

Being a homosexual couple has been a topic we have not discussed in depth. This has been omitted, and I am sure it is a topic many do not want to even think about. As I previously mentioned, it is not something I agree with, but I never want one of my students to feel ashamed of who they are. A child should never be held accountable for what decisions an adult makes. We, as ECE professionals have a duty to take care of our students, and we should not add damage to them by making negative references about their parents, their home life, or their culture. After talking to my friends and co-workers about culture and diversity, I know I must accept the differences of others, and learn to push my personal feelings aside and dow hat is best for my students. I want students to remember what a positive difference I made, and to never feel as if I made them feel bad for who they are.

Blessings,
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    It sounds like you got a lot of good feedback from your friends and coworkers. Most people that I know do not think about sexual orientation, but it is part of our families and their culture. Everyone has their own personal biases and we all need to work through them if we want to do what is best for young children and their families.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan!
    You and I are definitely on the same page in regards to being traditional but still needing to respect the children regardless of what the adults around them do. I do not agree with the LGBTQ lifestyles either, but the children involved are not to blame and should not be treated any differently that a child of any other type of family. I have personally seen the hurt that a child of a gay parent can feel, and I hope that we can remind other ECE professionals to remember that the child is still a child.
    Lea

    ReplyDelete