Saturday, October 19, 2013

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

After exploring UNICEF's website, I was inclined to go with West and Central Africa. Having classrooms that contain more than 80 children (within one classroom) does not constitute good, quality development. I also know the living conditions in this area are not always sanitary, and this concerns me as children need clean, safe, trusting environments.

In Sierra Leone, there are advocates that are promoting cleanliness and helping improve children's lives. I was saddened, however, when reading how this child gets up, fetches water, cleans, goes to classes, then fetches water for school, and back home to help with her mother. I feel as if her early development has been compromised because she has to take on an adult role. However, after thinking about this, I do believe it may hinder her development because she is not able to be around children for long periods at a time and develop social development, but, on the other hand, she is learning how to be responsible, proactive and respectful. This is an important developmental stage too. I am torn on this, because have mixed feelings about it.

In Congo, UNICEF is helping refugee children in school. They are making education a priority for refugee children but their school conditions are not up to date at all. Many children are sitting on the ground in huts. However, volunteer teachers are working to improve those conditions for children. By making education a priority, these children can begin to value education. However, because of the conditions of their environment, I feel they can not develop like other children we teach on a daily basis. This is truly heartbreaking because I feel we, as educators and parents, take education for granted. Not everyone has the same environments, teachers, or families that promote good, quality education.

This UNICEF website made me thankful for all children, but I was so saddened at the differences of all countries about education. As an educator, I want to do so much but I alone lack the ability to make things happen in other countries. It is so unfair that so many children all around the world cannot have what so many children in other countries have in education.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    thank you for sharing your post about children's development in West and Central Africa. It is true than in the other part of the world, many children are still suffering and struggling to thrive despite of their condition that sometimes full of hardship.

    Hopefully knowing the different condition of the children have to encounter around the world can be part of our reflection as the Professional in Early Childhood Field.

    Thank you
    Evita Kartikasari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    I really enjoyed reading about Sierra Leone. It is so true that we do not realize the struggles children in other areas have to deal with. UNICEF does such amazing work all over the world. Thank you for sharing.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    Thank you for sharing information about Sierra Leone. The assignment really made me realize just how many struggles children in different parts of the world have to deal with. I am very thankful for the conditions my children live in.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I also explored West and Central Africa. It is extremely sad to hear about these children's life situations, no children should lives in these types of situation. Many children in third world countries do not know or understand what it means to be a child or enjoy their childhood because they too busy helping their families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a dream of mine to teach in an area like West and Central Africa. I love to hear how these students want to learn! I try to show my students video clips and interviews with children from these areas to fuel their own desire to learn and an appreciation for what they have.

    ReplyDelete